Harvard Medical School, United States
Harvard Medical School, the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering and the Personal Genome Project.
George Church is Professor of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Director of the Center for Computational Genetics. His multiplex solid-phase sequencing (1988) evolved into polonies (1999), ABI-SOLiD (2005), open-source Polonator.org (2007), and Complete Genomics (2008). Other pioneering projects include nanopore sequencing, DNA chips for genome engineering, tissue printing, bioethics/safety/security strategies. He founded PersonalGenomes.org, providing the world's only open-access information source for human genomic, environmental and trait data (GET). He is director of the NIH CCV Center for Excellence in Genomic Science. Member of FP7 READNA, US NAS & NAE, Hoogendijk & Franklin Laureate.
Profile of staff members
Alexander Wait Zaranek is Director of Informatics at PersonalGenomes.org
Richard Terry is Wyss Advanced Technology Team (ATT) Systems Engineer.
Five recent publications relevant to the project
1) Douglas SM, Bachelet I, Church GM (2012) A logic-gated nanorobot for targeted transport of molecular payloads. Science 335, 831-834.
2) Ball MP*, Thakuria JV*, Zaranek AW*, Clegg T, Rosenbaum AM, Wu X, Angrist M, Bhak J, Bobe J, Callow M, Cano C, Chou MF, Chung WK, Douglas SM, Estep P, Gore A, Hulick P, Labarga A, Lee J, Lunshof J, Kim BC, Kim JI, Li Z, Murray MF, Nilsen GB, Peters B, Raman AM, Reinhoff HY, Robasky K, Wheeler M, Vandewege W, Vorhaus D, Yang JL, Yang L, Aach J, Ashley EA, Drmanac R, Kim SJ, Li JB, Peshkin L, Seidman CE, Seo JS, Zhang K, Rehm HL, Church GM (2012) A Public Resource Facilitating Clinical Use of Genomes. PNAS inaugural article.
3) Ji J, Ng SH, Sharma V, Neculai D, Hussein S, Sam M, Trinh Q, Church GM, McPherson JD, Nagy A, Batada NN (2011) Elevated Coding Mutation Rate During the Reprogramming of Human Somatic Cells into Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells. 2011 Dec 12. doi: 10.1002/stem.1011. PMID: 22162363
4) Peters BA, Kermani BG, Sparks AB, Alferov O, Hong P, Alexeev A, Jiang Y, Dahl F, Tang YT, Hass J, Robasky K, Zaranek AW, Lee JH, Ball MP, Peterson JE, Perazich H, Yeung G, Liu J, Chen L, Pothuraju K, Konvicka K, Tsoupko-Sitnikov M, Pant KP, Ebert J, Nilsen G, Baccash J, Halpern AL, Church GM, Drmanac R (2012) Clinically accurate genome sequencing and haplotyping from 10-20 human cells using massively parallel short reads on long DNA fragments (submitted to Nature).
5) Isaacs FJ, Carr PA, Wang HH, Lajoie MJ,Sterling B, Kraal L, Tolonen A, Gianoulis T, Goodman D, Reppas NB, Emig CJ, Bang D, Hwang SJ, Jewett MC, Jacobson JM,Church GM (2011) Precise Manipulation of Chromosomes in vivo Enables Genome-wide Codon Replacement. Science 333(6040):348-53.