International Foundation for Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Germany
The International Foundation for Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (IFCARS) is actively engaged in translational research, development and education to enhance healthcare with a computer assisted medicine, and the study of its medical, social and ethical effect on society.
Focusing on computer assisted radiology and surgery, the Foundation specifically supports research and development on integrated models of patients and pathologies as well as clinical processes from scientific based evidence, medical guidelines and data mining.
IFCARS with its associated partners is a key actor in the transitional process towards a personalised medicine based on an IT model-centric view of the patient.
Heinz Lemke, director of IFCARS and as a founding member of the Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery (ICCAS), University of Leipzig has been actively engaged in mathematical and IT modelling methods for patients and process modelling for diagnosis and therapy. This was based on his earlier work on the concept of patient-specific modelling, computer assisted radiology, PACS, medical workstations, and model management systems which has been published in about 150 papers.
Profile of staff members
Heinz U. Lemke is professor of Computer Science and teaches and supervises research on Computer Assisted Medicine at the Technical University of Berlin. He is also Research Professor of Radiology at the University of Southern California and strategic advisor on research at the Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery.
Since 1983 Heinz Lemke is the organizer of the congress series Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS), editor-in-chief of the International Journal of CARS and executive director of the International Foundation for CARS. Heinz Lemke has been a consultant to many major medical technology companies and health care institutions and was co-founder and board member of professional societies such as ISCAS, EuroPACS, CURAC, EPMA and SCAR. During the last 25 years he was Visiting Professor at universities in USA, Japan, China, Egypt and Switzerland.
Recent publications relevant to the project
1) Lemke HU, Berliner L (2010): Personalized medicine and model-guided therapy. In: Niederlag W, Lemke HU, O, Rienhoff O (Editors.): Personalisierte Medizin und Informationstechnologie. Health Academy, Band 15, Dresden 2010, 39-48.
2) Lemke HU, Berliner L (2010): Personalized medicine and patient-specific modelling. In: Niederlag W, Lemke HU, Golubnitschaja O, Rienhoff O (Editors.): Personalisierte Medizin. Health Academy, Band 14, Dresden 2010, 155-164.
3) Lemke HU, Berliner L (2009): Model-based patient care with a therapy imaging and model management system. In: Predictive diagnostics and personalized treatment: dream or reality? Editor: Golubnitschaja, O. Nova Science Publishers, New York, USA.
4) Berliner L, Lemke HU (2008): From model guided therapy to model-based evidence: potential impact on medical outcomes, Economics, and Ethics. Vol 13. Modellgestützte Therapie, Health Academy, Dresden, Germany, pp 253-270.
5) Lemke HU, Berliner L (2008): Modellgestützte Therapie, patientenspezifisches Modell und modellbasierte Evidenz. In: Niederlag W, Lemke HU, Meixensberger J, Baumann M (Editors): Modellgestützte Therapie, Health Academy. Dresden, Germany, Vol 13, pp 13-24.
6) Lemke HU, Berliner L (2007): Specification and design of a Therapy Imaging and Model Management System (TIMMS). In: Medical Imaging 2007 PACS and Imaging Informatics. Editors: Horii SC, Andriole KP. Vol. 6516.